Frequently Asked Questions
Is the water cold?
I don't have a buddy; can I still dive?
We require a minimum of 2 divers to operate the boat.
- During the cooler months, on a weekend we can often still match you up with other divers, but during the week it's a good idea to bring a friend to dive with. If you need a buddy, advance bookings will help us find someone for you to dive with. Dive guides are available for a fee.
Is there a dive guide on all dives?
- There is NO DIVE GUIDE in the water on standard dives. A dive guide is available for an additional fee, by prior arrangement.
I have only dived in the tropics; is it very different?
I have not dived for a while, can I still dive?
- If you have not dived in the last 6 months, we recommend that you at least do a basic practice session in our training pool (cost $20) so you can get accustomed to the gear before going out on the boat for your dives. If you feel that you may need more of a refresher before diving, we recommend that you do the one-day Scuba Review.
- If you have not dived in the last 12 months or more, and particularly if you have done <15 dives in total, we recommend that you do the one-day Scuba Review.
- If you have not dived since completing your Open Water course and it was more than 3 months ago, we recommend that you do the one-day Scuba Review.
How many divers can your boat carry for a dive trip?
Can I hire an underwater camera?
Do you run dive courses?
Can I hire equipment? - Yes. We have full hire gear available, so we can usually supply any equipment you need.
Can I get a tank filled? - Yes. We can do air fills, and Nitrox - Nitrox is by prior arrangement.
How do I get there without a car?
What do I do for food, if I stay at the Dive Centre?
What can my friend/partner do if he/she doesn't dive?
How do I find the Dive Centre?
Our street address is "178 Pirates Bay Drive, Eaglehawk Neck " - please note that this road is not on some GPS navigation units, and if it is, that the street numbers are usually in the wrong place on the GPS, so follow the directions below.
- From Hobart - go past Hobart Airport to Sorell, then follow the Arthur Highway toward Port Arthur, passing through several small towns including Dunalley, where you go over the swing bridge over the canal, then through Murdunna past a small general store and petrol station. About 5 minutes past Murdunna, driving through the forest, there is a large green sign on your left for "Pirates Bay" then a large brown sign for "Tasman Sea Cliff Coast Lookout". Take the turnoff to the lookout at the top of the hill (this is Pirates Bay Drive - there are also signs for the Dive Centre on the corner), go down to the lookout then continue on down the road, the Dive Centre is about 750m below the lookout on the right hand side (look out for the sign), down a long drive way. If you go down a very long steep hill into Eaglehawk Neck itself, you have gone too far.
- From Port Arthur - take the main Arthur Highway back toward Hobart passing through Taranna to Eaglehawk Neck, go across the narrow neck of land at Eaglehawk Neck and take the first turnoff on the right after the Neck (this is Pirates Bay Drive), going past the Lufra Hotel and the Tesselated Pavement, driving up through the forest, the Dive Centre is down a long drive way on the left hand side (look out for the sign) after a sweeping left hand bend. If you go up a very steep hill with a passing lane, you have missed the turnoff for Pirates Bay Drive; if you go up the road past the Lufra Hotel and end up at the lookout, you have missed the Dive Centre - we are about 750m back down the road from the lookout.
Copyright © Eaglehawk Dive Center